Do you have imperfections in your teeth that are affecting your smile? Cosmetic dentistry treatments and procedures are designed to improve the appearance of your teeth, giving you a smile you can feel confident about.
Veneers are a cosmetic procedure that can conceal imperfections in your teeth and give you a more natural looking smile. How do they work and are they right for you? Here’s an overview of veneers and how they work so you can make a fully informed decision.
What Are Veneers?
Veneers are thin, tooth-shaped shells that are bonded to the front side of your teeth. They are made of porcelain, a type of ceramic that mimics tooth enamel, giving them the texture and sheen of natural teeth. They can be made to match the color of your existing teeth or a whiter shade according to your preferences.
Benefits of Veneers
Veneers offer many cosmetic benefits:
- Quick. Veneers are a relatively quick way to fix imperfections in your teeth. Rather than waiting months or even years for orthodontic treatment, veneers can give you a uniform smile in as little as a few weeks.
- Conceal stubborn stains. If your teeth have stains that whitening treatments can’t remove, veneers can cover them up instead.
- Even out the length of your teeth. The length of your teeth may be uneven due to damage or the way the teeth came in. Veneers can make all of the teeth appear to be the same length.
- Cover chipped teeth. If you have one or more chipped teeth, veneers can cover the damaged teeth to make them look fully intact.
- Eliminate gaps. Even gaps between your teeth can be concealed with veneers in many cases.
- Make teeth look straight. Mild to moderately crooked teeth can be covered with veneers to make them look properly aligned.
How Are Veneers Attached?
Before veneers can be attached to your teeth, a thin layer of enamel will most likely be removed. This provides a rougher surface that is ideal for attaching the veneers. Dental bonding material is used to attach the veneers to the existing teeth, providing a solid hold that allows you to bite and chew without concern.
What Cosmetic Issues Can Veneers Correct?
Veneers are capable of correcting a wide variety of cosmetic problems with your teeth:
- Chipped teeth
- Uneven lengths
- Crooked teeth
- Misshapen teeth
How Long Do Veneers Last?
On average, veneers last between 10 and 15 years. However, with good care and maintenance, your veneers could last longer. The key is to take good care of the teeth under the veneers by brushing twice a day, flossing once a day, and going to the dentist every 6 months for dental cleanings and exams. It also helps to avoid biting into hard foods that could damage your veneers. And you should never use your veneers to open things, remove tags, or chew on non-food items.
Are Veneers Right For You?
To be a good candidate for veneers, your teeth need to be healthy. Minor damage like small chips or worn down enamel may not affect the health of your teeth. But if you have cavities or a tooth needs a root canal, those restorative procedures will need to be done first.
If your teeth are healthy but not looking their best, you may be a good candidate for veneers. Veneers provide a quick, yet long-term solution for imperfections in your teeth. Your teeth just need to be prepped, impressions made, the veneers created, and then attached. The result is a better looking smile.
Where is the Best Place to Get Veneers?
You can get veneers from a dentist who offers cosmetic dentistry. Suwanee Family Dentistry provides a variety of cosmetic dentistry procedures, including porcelain veneers. We provide high quality porcelain veneers that offer a natural appearance, giving you a smile you can feel confident about.